We are taking you to a simple adventure in the Kalafat, hilly-mountainous region, rich in natural, cultural and historic attractions
Departure from Niš in front of the hotel at 08:00 am. Accompanied by an experienced local guide, we head north towards city’s outskirts. We commence our adventure in the Kalafat region going through a village called Kamenica and over a hill called Cegar. This geographic area, although not so large, is full of cultural-historic monuments and protected natural attractions of great significance – our aim for the day is to explore some of them. Our panoramic stopovers will take us to:
- The top of Cegar hill where an impresive monument stands, dedicated to all Serbs who gave their life in the battle for a liberation of Serbia from the Turkish rule. Old villages in the northern region of Nis.
- Village Cerje situated next to one of the longest caves in the Balkans , Cerjanska cave also called Provalija (Abyss) with the total current length of 6,025 meters, and the denivelation of 176 m. The entrance to the cave, at 515 m altitude, is a swallow hole of a small stream named Provalija, the resurgence of which is Kravljansko spring, 2800 m northwest, at 310 m altitude.
- Village Miljakovac, where we will see the ruins of a medieval fortress Zeleznik which is dated to second half of XIV century. There are also theories that this fortress actually sits on top of an older one built in the VI century under the Bysantium ruler Justinian.
- Afterwards we continue towards a village called Kravlje. From the village rim we start a delightful walk for about 45 minutes, in the valley along the Provalia stream which joins a river named Toponica. On our way to Kravljansko vrelo, at the exit side of the cave, we will see a church dedicated to Saint Paraskevi, an old wellspring from late XIX century and old windmills.
- After this scenic walk, we are off to our last destination for the day – a village with anunusual name Kopajkosara, where one of the best known Serbian speleological sites is situated – cave Samar. The cave is also known as Milutinova, after a famous serbian speleolog Milutin Veljkovic who once lived in the cave for 464 days between 1969 and 1970 – thereby setting a new world record and adding his name in the Guiness World Records. The cave is also known for a paleontologic discovery – the sceleton bones of a prehistoric With other surounding caves, Samar makes a unique cave system which is under the government protection. In this part of our adventure we will inspect the entrance section of Samar cave and Jezava cave. We finish our adventure by returning to Nis via Gramada, confident that the amazing variety and unspoiled beauty of the compact Kalafat area will be captivated in your memory for a very long time.
- Guiding service
- Caving equipment
- Travel organization expenses
- Individual expenses
high-top sneakers or hiking shoes, sleeping bag and mattress, multiple pairs of socks, short sleeved t-shirts, a lightweight jacket with a hoodie (waterproof if possible), a sweatshirt, a back-up pair of pants, sunglasses, a hat, sunscreen. If you want, you can bring candy or sweets, snacks, water and refreshments. Pack up everything in a small backpack. Do not forget: a swimming suit, a towel, a camera, back-up shoes and clothes, and, as always, a good mood!
Payment for all trips will be made directly to the Trip Provider: Nature Travel Office. The method of payment will be either a bank transfer or cash payment. First installment, 50 % when you signed up, the rest one month before departure on the adventure. This program is composed for 20 travelers. In case of changes on the money market (or the goods and services market), or in case of insufficient number of travelers signed on, the organizer has a right to correct prices, change the program, or cancel the trip at the latest 10 days before the start of the trip.
The trip organizer is Nature Travel Office tourist agency, license OTP 265/2020, issued by the Business Registers Agency, 04.02.2020. Nature Travel Office is insured by the insurance policy from tourist agency responsibility for any case of insolvency and responsibility in case of damage suffered by a passenger, no. 30000016223, by the insurance company “MILENIJUM OSIGURANJE” A.D.O Beograd. The insurance policy is valid from 01.01.2020. to 30.09.2020. With this programme Nature Travel Office’s General Terms and Conditions are effective and they are an integral part of this trip application.